Monday, November 17, 2008

The ABCs: Week 11

Whenever the Browns play the Bills, family bragging rights are essentially at stake. My mom's side is from Cleveland, and my dad's side is from Rochester, New York, which is like 70 miles from Buffalo. Before the game, I e-mailed a bunch of family members my final prediction:

Buffalo 6, Cleveland 5

I was only half-joking, and instead of the score, those numbers turned out to be closer to Buffalo's total turnovers and our busted red zone opportunities.

In any case, as intense as the Monday Nighter got, it never felt like more than a scrimmage against a bunch of friends. I don't really root for anyone other than the Browns, but if I had to choose, the Bills are probably my second-favorite team.

I'm glad we have the kicker that can nail 56-yarders, though.

All three of those interceptions to start the game were nice to see, but as usual, our defense was softer than toilet paper when it really counted.

Brady Quinn had a rough night, but he didn't turn the ball over. That's been my absolute favorite part about his first two starts. Too often have I watched momentum squandered because Derek Anderson goes colorblind every now and then.

Combined with our earlier Monday Night win, we're 2-0 against the Giants and Bills. If this was Super Bowl XXV, we'd rock.

D'Qwell Jackson had 11 tackles by himself, while the Three Stooges totaled 19. Credit is due, however, to Larry and Curly's hands on the first two picks.

Each time we kicked field goals in the red zone, I wanted to kick Romeo Crennel and Rob Chudzinski square in the nads.

Funniest moment of the night goes to Moe, who had Marshawn Lynch cornered for a loss in the first quarter...until his tackle threw Lynch forward for a gain of three. Nyuck nyuck.

Gotta love how the Bills turn the ball over three times on their first 16 plays, and we only manage two field goals, and then we get pinned on our own 4-yard line, and we march 96 yards for a touchdown. (cue Eminem) SCHIZ-O-PHREN-IA, HOW MANY OF YA GOT IT

Had we lost our third straight game in which we led by 13 or more, I would have shaken my head, because at least it's against Buffalo. Had we done it against, say, Pissburgh, there'd be a steaming crater where North Hollywood used to be.

I'm only going to briefly address the whole "quitting" issue that's surfaced, because I don't think it's a serious problem. I respect Jamal Lewis' voice more than any other Brown, so there probably was something to it. But these guys have never had a problem playing hard for Romeo. The real issue is that Romeo doesn't always play hard for them.

Jerome Harrison is a shifty, speedy football player. It's about time he got more action, and I'm thrilled he made it count.

Kawika Mitchell's late hit on Harrison helped lead to one of our field goals, and Buffalo fans weren't happy about it. When it comes to penalties that could go either way, I ask myself one question: Would I have a problem if it were called against my team? My answer, in Mitchell's situation, is yes.

Lynch is the best running back in the NFL after contact. Or the Browns made Lynch look like the best running back in the NFL after contact. Or Dr. Strangelynch: How the Browns Learned to Stop Tackling and Love Getting Bombed.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was accused of insider trading Monday, and when I first read the headline on ESPN.com, it used the words "SEC" and "civil suit." I briefly thought to myself, "Why is the Southeastern Conference suing Mark Cuban?" Total incompetence 1, DJMJ 0.

No defensive back is more bratty than Eric Wright. Every time an offensive player has the football, he's poking at it like a whiny little kid trying to force a fumble. I love it.

Once upon a time, Vincent Chase said, "You can't act on Xanax." Well, Braylon Edwards can't catch on sobriety, and he caught eight balls tonight. Maybe he was on Xanax.

Penn State graduate and thick neck Hall-of-Famer Paul Posluszny is the anchor of the Bills' defense. That's another reason I like Buffalo.

Quite the cutback Josh Cribbs made to score our first touchdown. As Jaws pointed out on the broadcast, the play was designed to go outside, but Cribbsy's vision is COMPARABLE to WONDERBOY!

Rise up baby. The Cavs head to the Palace for Round 1 against the Pistons Wednesday night. As it stands right now, Cavs-Pistons is the most bitter rivalry in Cleveland sports. LET'S GO CAVS

Shaun Rogers never retreats, he just attacks in the opposite direction. (Editor's note: For the rest of the season, the "S" spot will be filled by Jack Bauer facts with Shaun Rogers' name attached, because I love him that much. And because he once won a game of Connect Four in three moves.)

To show you I wasn't lying about ESPN.com AFC North blogger James Walker, check out this lead he wrote for a post about Brandon McDonald's playmaking tonight:

"ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The benching of Cleveland Browns cornerback Brandon McDonald didn't last long.

It lasted just one play.
"

The words "lazy" and "witless" come to mind. So do the words "James Walker is an awful writer."

Up top, Phil Dawson.

Very frustrating is how it can feel when we slam Jamal Lewis into defenses for short gains through the first three quarters. But that helps us soften them up. It's part of our plan, and we had the Bills sucking wind by game's end.

Why can't Romeo always manage late-game situations like he did tonight?

X-Factor was thrown up by Leodis McKelvin after his kickoff return for a touchdown. I haven't seen that since Dante Hall was at Dante's peak. Hey, that was clever.

Yeah, our white uniforms just sizzle under those Monday night lights. We know.

Zai jain, recent negativity. Until we lose in abhorrent fashion again (probably next week), I'm a relatively happy camper.


Houston, you have a problem.

No comments: