Thursday, October 9, 2008

South Park is my homeboy

I can't tell you the number of times I've wanted to stand and cheer when South Park made a point through its satire of politics, pop culture, race, religion, sex, ethics, even Chili Con parricide. I make it no secret that I write this blog the same way South Park co-creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone write the show: timely perspective mixed with whatever I feel like making fun of that night. And everything goes. South Park gives a voice to the educated and somewhat despondent. This blog partly gives a voice to...well, infantile Cleveland fans who aren't as funny as they think they are.

Anyway, South Park landed its latest jab in the season premiere Wednesday night, an episode called "The China Probrem" that's mostly about how George Lucas and Steven Spielberg raped (literally, raped) Indiana Jones in that vaginal discharge of a sequel last Memorial Day. There's some good old-fashioned Cartman bigotry involving P.F. Chang's, but the main focus is Lucas and Spielberg's continued destruction of all that us supernerds hold dear. This isn't the first time Parker and Stone have ripped on Lucas and Spielberg.

It's also not the first time I've called the shot with them.

One of the first posts I wrote for this blog (and one of my personal favorites) was a smash piece on Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which called the movie out for, among other things, its laziness, wanton use of CGI and desperate mistreatment of the character. I shouted out South Park in a later post about Trekkies, and this episode proves that Parker and Stone read our blog and decided to shout us out back. I see no issues with that logic.

In any case, I'm with them 100 percent, and not because I'm hopping on South Park's bandwagon and trumpeting their ideals instead of mine. I've also been with them on Kyle's speech about how "real" imaginary characters actually are; how wrong The Passion of the Christ was;
Michael Bay's "filmmaking" abilities; how hypocritical anti-smoking people are; the worthlessness of hippies; how boring baseball is; and how retarded the writers -- not the producers -- were during the 2008 WGA strike. South Park gives me constant reason to stand and cheer when their views reflect my own.

What exactly does that mean? Nothing, really. Nobody says South Park is right about this shit. All it means is what I said: South Park is my homeboy.

Ruin that, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

No comments: