Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Diff, featuring hall-of-fame leads

Editor's note: The Diff is a new every-other-day feature that tells you about how things are going in my world at the moment. Topics in play are sports, entertainment and various other leisure activities. Sometimes I'm Jerome Lane, sometimes I'm the backboard. Let's go.


Tom Withers knows his way around words

From his AP story about the Cavs-Pistons game tonight:

CLEVELAND (AP) - LeBron James fired down the lane at full speed, ignored Rasheed Wallace's feeble attempt to stop him and scored.

Cleveland's star then stood under the basket, flexing his biceps like a bodybuilder for all to admire.

Make no mistake, there's a new bully in the Central Division.

No finer way to kick off this new feature.


The Lakers don't know their way around Charlotte

For the sixth time in the last seven meetings, the Charlotte Bobcats beat the Los Angeles Lakers, knocking the Lakers three games behind the Cavs in the race for best overall record with eight to play. But Team Gerald Wallace is still no match for Team Kobe on the Aggro Crag or the Hidden Temple Run.


Notre Dame knows it'd happen in football, too

Sixteen months after knocking the Fighting Irish all over the gridiron, my alma mater knocked the Fighting Irish all over the hardwood, further strengthening its case as an NCAA Tournament team. We can still play our way into that, right?


Should have pilfered a napkin

I had drinks and appetizers with a friend last night at the Beverly Wilshire, which is one of the most luxurious places in Los Angeles. My friend told me that some actor from Slumdog Millionaire was also there, but I was far more interested in choosing which fine culinary item to steal. I ended up taking a clear plastic drink stirrer and leaving other items that were actually embroidered with the Beverly Wilshire logo and would make my apartment seem less, well, slummy. Maybe I should see that movie after all.


File Twitter with Ipods

When it comes to most trendy pieces of technology,
I'm no different from anyone else. I had a DVD player before the turn of the century. I have a Blackberry and a Bluetooth. I see all movies in IMAX now. I'm on Facebook and MySpace. I have this blog.

But one thing I absolutely cannot see myself using is this Twitter bullshit. Seriously? Random thoughts? At random times? With no discernable value to either the person posting or the person reading? Eat penguin shit, Twitter.

1 comment:

Francois Leroux Speedskater said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this. PS, I was in Chicago with NO Interwebs access for the last 5 days. Posts will resume...soon.