Sunday, September 13, 2009

Gus Johnson goes to the dentist

Sports journalism is a deteriorating medium. People who don't deserve jobs are getting hired, informal nonsense like Twitter is considered a legitimate source, and even the slightest events are stories amid 24/7 coverage. But there is beacon of light, a transcendent announcer with the power to turn the simplest chores into white-knuckle excitement. His name is Gus Johnson...



GUS: Honey, I'm heading off to the dentist for my tooth cleaning! I don't know if I'll be back by five but I'M GONNA TRY MY BEST!

WIFE: All right, sweetheart.

Gus drives over to the dentist's.

DENTIST: Well, Gus, good to see you again.

GUS: Good to see you too, Doc!

DENTIST: Ready to get started?

GUS: YES SIRRRR!

DENTIST: Go ahead and lie down in that chair.

Gus lies down.

DENTIST: First, we'll clean out your mouth. Here's a cup of water. Swish that around in your mouth a bit and then spit it out into the sink by the chair.

GUS: DOWN IT GOES! THIS WATER IS EXCELLENT!

DENTIST: All right, now I'm going to give you a local anesthetic.

GUS: THEY LOCALIZED ANESTHESIA? IMPOSSIBLE!

DENTIST: It's just to numb you so you don't feel any pain. You'll still be awake during the cleaning.

GUS: No need, Doc! I watched Allan Houston's runner to knock out the Heat before I came here! I CAN'T FEEL A THING!

DENTIST: Well, if you say so.

GUS: I gotta ask, Doc, WHICH TOOTH IS THE DIRTIEST? IS IT MY LATERAL INCISOR? TELL ME IT'S MY LATERAL INCISOR!

DENTIST: Uh, several of them could use a good cleaning. That's why you're here.

GUS: UNBELIEVABLE!

DENTIST: OK, just tilt your head back for me.

GUS: RISE AND FIRE, DOC!

DENTIST: Oh, looks like you've got some tartar buildup just under your gumline.

GUS: TARTAR STRIKES AGAIN! INCONCEIVABLE!

DENTIST: Let me just remove that for you. There we go.

GUS: DOCTOR YOU DEFINE CLUTCH!

DENTIST: Thank you.

GUS: Make sure you SPIFF UP MY MOLARS!

DENTIST: Your molars are fine. I'm almost finished. There.

GUS: How much is this appointment gonna cost me!

DENTIST: Check with my receptionist Linda up front, but it's usually around $135.

GUS: ONE-HUNDRED AND THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS? UNFATHOMABLE!

DENTIST: It's not a cheap procedure, but it is worthwhile.

GUS: I'm not mad, Doc! I'm STUPEFIED BY OUR SKYROCKETING HEALTH CARE COSTS!

DENTIST: Yeah, it's pinching everybody right now. Anyway, have a good day and I'll see you again soon.

Gus walks out to the front desk.

GUS: MY APPOINTMENT IS ALL OVER!

LINDA: Why are you yelling?

GUS: Because I was a little nervous coming in! TREPIDATION! APPREHENSION! CONSTERNATION!

LINDA: Your bill is $134.67.

GUS: THAT'S THIRTY-THREE CENTS CHEAPER THAN WHAT DOC TOLD ME! DO YOU TAKE VISA?

LINDA: We sure do.

GUS: INCREDIBLE! IT TRULY IS EVERYWHERE I WANT TO BE!

LINDA: Thank you, Mr. Johnson. Here's your receipt. Have a nice day.

GUS: I SURE WILL!

Join us next time for more excitement with Gus Johnson.

No comments: